Let's face it: we may have looked and felt invincible in our 20s, We did not have to work at it. We just naturally felt that way. But, now we realize that certain good habits must be practiced in order to continue to look young, healthy and sexy as we get older. It's never too late, though !. Ditch the unhealthy habits now before serious damage is done. Here are 10 ways to look and feel younger right now:
- Tone up your core. Your 20s are the perfect time to score six-pack abs! To do so, however, you'll need to do more than just hundreds of crunches. Combine toning exercises with high-intensity cardio intervals to blast off the belly fat and reveal your toned core.
- Overhaul your diet. It's impossible to look and feel younger if you're eating an unhealthy diet. Is your fridge empty except for Red Bull and leftover pizza? Are you still living off processed, packaged foods? Yikes! Even if you do not have time to cook every night, you can still make healthy food choices.
- Skip the drive through. Sure, fast food is cheap and easy, but it's also a one-way ticket to obesity and diabetes, which of which is very sexy. Put down the Chipotle burrito – it's more fun cooking with your roommate, anyways.
- Snuff out those cigarettes. An occasional cigarette may seem harmless now, but in addition to increasing your risk for cancer, smoking also seriously ages your appearance. From fine lines and wrinkles to yellowed teeth and yellowed fingers, smokers look an average of 1.4 years older than nonsmokers. Wrinkles look anything but wise when they show up on a reliably young person who smokes.
- Say no to tanning salons. There's no such thing as "healthy glow", especially when it's caused by tanning beds. Regular tanning bed usage increases your risk of skin cancer by 75 percent. Yikes! Plus, you'll end up tons of unsightly wrinkles.
- Get a full 8 hours. While it's tempting to stay out until the club closes, your body really does need its beauty sleep. Late-night partying and powering through three giant coffees come morning will leave your skin thin, dehydrated and prone to wrinkles. Take a night off and commit to being sleep before midnight. You will definitely look and feel younger by doing so.
- Wear sunscreen daily. Sunscreen is not just for the beach. Avoid direct sun exposure from 10-4 and use a moisturizer with built-in sun protection. And check those expiration dates! The ingredients in sunscreen has literally fallen apart, so you will not be receiving any sun protection.
- Check your sweet tooth at the door. A sugar-packed diet not only increases your risk for obesity, but also leads to premature wrinkles and saggy skin. Candy and sodas are not the only sugar-culprit: processed foods are packed with added sugars like corn syrup. Get in the habit of reading food labels and skipping anything with added sugars – these foods are bad for your body and bad for weight loss.
- Do some Yoga and meditation daily . Yoga and meditation reduces stress, which contributes to premature aging. Find some time each day to free your mind of those everyday worries and concerns through stretching, yoga, and meditation.
- Exercise regularly . Do some cardio and resistance training on a regular basis in order to look and feel younger. Exercise can reduce stress, and decrease the odds of you having chronic diseases such as diabetes, and hypertension. Regular workouts will give you more energy and strength to do the things that you enjoy doing for as long as you want.
They say that age is just a number, and that you're as young as you feel. But, in order to look and feel younger than you really are, you have to work at it by practicing the above habits.